Landlord Checklist

1. Landlords Authority. We will require a signed Landlords Authority form, giving us permission to act on your behalf as the agent and then we can commence marketing.

2. Consent to Let. Obtain written permission from your Mortgage Company, head lessors if a leasehold property and insurance company. Failure to do this may result in the tenancy being deemed unlawful.

3. Insurance. Please ensure you have adequate building and contents insurance, not all insurance policies cover let properties, Rent4sure provide specialist insurance for Landlords so should you require further information then please contact a member of staff for an online quote and instant cover.

4. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). From the 1st October 2008 all rental properties in the UK require an Energy Performance Certificate to be conducted prior to a new tenancy agreement commencing.

5. Gas Safety Regulations. Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, appliances and flues, which you own and have provided for your tenants use. You must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

6. Fire Safety Regulations. You must ensure all furniture and soft furnishings comply with the Fire and Safety Regulations 1988 which were amended 1993. Any furniture or furnishings that do not comply must be removed from the property.

7. Electrical Safety Regulations. You must ensure that the electrical equipment is safe and will not cause danger and that it satisfies the safety requirements of the 1994 Regulations.

8. Inventory. It is essential to have an inventory which gives an accurate record of the properties contents and condition.

9. Keys. We will require an initial set of keys for viewings and then additional sets will be required prior to the start of the tenancy.

10. Utilities. You will need to notify the necessary utility companies of your moving date and address for final bills.

11. Post. It may be worth considering postal re-direction as we can not guarantee that your post will be forwarded to our office

12. Non Resident Landlords Approval (NRL). All Landlords who reside abroad for 6 months or more will need to complete a (NRL) form in order to apply for approval from the Inland Revenue for us to pay you the rent without making any tax deductions. (All forms are available from our office)

13. Rent Payments. We will require your bank details to arrange rent payments to you by BACS transfer. If we are collecting the rent on you behalf you will also receive a monthly statement via email. (All rents are paid monthly in advance).

14. Deposits. If we are holding the deposit it will be held as stakeholder in a separate client account and will be registered under The Dispute Service (TDS). All client funds are also fully bonded under our (NALS) client money protection scheme. If you are holding the deposit you must either forward the deposit to the custodial scheme or use one of the insurance based schemes to insure the deposit.